RDS Forest and Woodland Awards
RDS Forest and Woodland Awards
The Irish Forest and Woodland Awards recognise and reward farmers and woodland owners that have adopted Climate-Smart Agricultural practices on their properties. These practices include sound commercial management, environmental protection, and bio diversity. The twin goals of promoting the economic and environmental benefits of good forestry and farming are fundamental to what the RDS hopes to achieve through its agriculture and rural affairs programme.
There are three prize categories for the Awards:
- Production Forestry
- Teagasc Farm Forestry Award
- Community Woodlands
The Production Forestry Category is open to Farmers and landowners using sound silvicultural management on their farms. This award aims to recognise excellence in the management of production forestry.
While the focus is on the management of the area for wood production, judges will also review diversity of species, particularly the presence of native trees such as Ash, Birch, Oak, Willow, etc., to ensure greater efficiency and quality in the development of the sector.
Teagasc Farm Forestry Award
The Teagasc Farm Forestry Award recognises working farmers who are integrating forestry and farming for environmental, social and economic benefits. The category aims to promote the positive sustainable contribution of forestry as an integral enterprise within the wider farming profile. It acknowledges the farmer’s role in actively managing the forest and promoting tree planting to strengthen wider farming sustainability.
The Community Woodland Award is designed to encourage and reward projects involving the communal ownership and/or management of forests and woodlands which have been established and managed in a sustainable way that is beneficial to the local economy and/or environment.
Entry is open to woodland-related community-based projects including participants in the NeighbourWoods Scheme and amenity forestry projects. Entrants should also be able to demonstrate significant and sustained community input.
2019 Award Winners
- Production Forestry Award Winner – Irish Forestry Unit Trust, Clonad Woodlands, Co. Offaly
- Production Forestry Award Runner up – Patrick J. O’Reilly, Co. Cavan
- Multipurpose Forestry Award Winner – Coillte Teoranta, Cratloe Woods, Co. Limerick
- Multipurpose Forestry Award Runner up – Matt Fogarty, Co. Tipperary
- Teagasc Farm Forestry Award Winner – Gerard Deegan, Co. Westmeath
- Teagasc Farm Forestry Award Runner up – Thomas Pollard, Co. Tipperary
- Community Woodlands Award Winner – Vartry Reservoir Community Woodland, Roundwood & District Community council, Co. Wicklow
- Community Woodlands Award Runner up – Tintern Forest, Co. Wexford
- With a prize fund of €9,000, all woodland owners and managers are encouraged to enter the Awards as all woodlands, large or small, are of merit
- The winner in each of the above categories will receive €2,000 and an RDS Silver Medal
- The runner-up in each category will receive €1,000 and an RDS Certificate of Merit
- Category winners will also receive a specially commissioned trophy.
The 2020 Forestry Awards are closed for entries and Award winners will be announced at the 2020 RDS Spring Awards Lunch which will take place in the RDS Concert Hall on Tuesday, April 14.
For further information, please contact:
RDS Agriculture Manager
Tel: +353 (0) 1 240 7215
Fax: +353 (0) 1 660 4014