The following terms and conditions are designed to ensure that the RDS Primary Science Fair is conducted as safely, fairly and as efficiently as possible. The RDS Primary Science Fair is organised and sponsored by the RDS whose decision on all matters relating to the Fair will be final.
Entries and Eligibility for the Fair:
1. All expressions of interest for a stand at the RDS Primary Science Fair must be submitted through the online form at www.rds.ie/primarysciencefair.
2. Expressions of interest are only complete following receipt of the signed Terms and Conditions and photo release form.
3. Once the deadline for expressions of interest has passed all applications will be reviewed and places will be allocated.
4. Successful schools will be invited to exhibit on one of the following dates:
• Thursday, January 8, 2015 (40 projects)
• Friday, January 9, 2015 (40 projects)
• Saturday, January 10, 2015 (40 projects)
5. Students in 4th, 5th, 6th and multigrade classes in the Republic of Ireland and Key Stage 2 students in Northern Ireland are eligible to participate at the Fair.
6. Students must work as a class under the supervision of their teacher with, where appropriate, suitable levels of involvement by parents, guardians or other responsible adults. All members of the group should share the work and be familiar with all aspects of the project.
7. Each project exhibited must be the work of only one class. Those wishing to incorporate the work of a second class must submit separate expressions of interest for each class.
8. Projects must seek to pose and answer a specific question that the class will investigate or solve.
9. The emphasis of participation is on the development of children’s core scientific and mathematical skills as set out in the primary science curriculum (i.e. working scientifically) and encouraging students to design and make something to use as part of their investigation.
10. Projects should clearly relate to one of the strands of the primary science curriculum within the Republic of Ireland or Northern Ireland - Living Things; Energy and Forces; Materials; Environmental Awareness and Care; The World Around Us.
11. Students whose projects involve studies of live animals must ensure that such studies are carried out in accordance with the statutory regulations. Copies of the regulations are available from the Department of Health and Children, Hawkins House, Dublin 1, www.dohc.ie.
Attendance at the Fair:
12. The organisers must be notified of any exhibiting group who are unable to attend the Fair. Failure to notify the Fair of a withdrawal in good time results in empty stands at the RDS and causes disappointment for other students and the visiting public.
13. Sufficient numbers of teachers/supervisors must accompany exhibiting groups to the Fair.
14. There will be a registration area clearly marked RDS Primary Science Fair at the main entrance to the RDS Main Hall.
15. All teachers must register their group on arrival at the Fair before setting up their stand.
16. All stands must be set up and ready to show by 9.30am each morning. No project can be taken down each day until the RDS Primary Science Fair closes at 4.00pm without prior arrangement with the Fair organisers.
17. Exhibiting groups will receive a Fair badge for each participant from the Fair registration staff which must be worn at all times.
18. A limited number of Teacher passes will be provided to each exhibiting group. Using these passes, teachers will be able to access the Teachers’ Area on the balcony.
19. Please note that exhibiting groups are responsible for the purchase of their own meals.
20. Exhibiting groups should present a visual display that is bright, colourful and easy to read. Students are encouraged to include pictures, diagrams, models etc at their display stand.
21. Please keep the dimensions (mm) of the exhibition stand in mind when designing your display. The back display panel is 2400mm wide by 840mm high and the worktop is 2400mm wide by 700mm deep.
22. Exhibits must be safely designed and constructed and must not use as part of the display: any dangerous equipment or open flames; any toxic, flammable, explosive or irritant chemicals; any pathogenic, toxigenic or allergenic organism (animals/insects, plant or microorganisms); sharp objects such as syringes or needles; or agar plates containing micro-organisms.
23. Live mammals, birds, amphibians or reptiles may not be presented in exhibits.
24. Schools may wish to chart their class’ progress and scientific discoveries within a report book. Report books should also include sources of information used as references e.g. web site address, names of books etc.
25. Exhibiting groups are asked to refrain, where possible, from using brand names of firms/sponsors in their display or in the title of their project. Reference to brands or firms should be contained in the Project Report Books if applicable.
26. Exhibiting groups will be required to assemble their own projects by 9.30am on the morning of the Fair.
27. Exhibiting groups must remain at their stands during the Fair to speak with the visiting public about their projects.
28. No project can be taken down each day until the RDS Primary Science Fair closes at 4.00pm without prior arrangement with the Fair organisers.
29. There must be an adult present at each project stand at all times.
30. Exhibiting groups will be responsible for transporting their projects to and from the Fair within the time allocated and supplying all ancillary apparatus and mountings used for the display of their projects.
31. Exhibiting groups should mark their name on all equipment, charts, project report books etc.
32. Wireless internet will be available at the Fair, however please note that a charge may apply.
33. A power source will be available at each stand. Exhibiting groups are advised to bring their own extension cables if required.
34. Exhibiting groups are strongly advised to remove valuable equipment from unattended stands.
35. The Fair will not accept responsibility for damage to, or loss of, projects or personal belongings.
36. Projects are the property of the exhibitors but may be used by the RDS for exhibition or publication.
37. The Fair is not a competition, the emphasis of the Fair is on the development of children’s core scientific skills as set out in the primary science curriculum i.e. ‘working scientifically’ and ‘designing and making’.
38. The judges will visit each stand during the Fair to talk to the students involved about their project and to provide feedback on their work. Exhibiting groups must be present at their stands between 10.00am – 12.30pm.
39. Judges will be interested to find out how the students worked scientifically and how they incorporated elements of ‘designing and making’ within their project.
40. In addition the judges will be interested in the following:
• Evidence of child-led investigation and teamwork
• Evidence of students’ skills development
• Presentation/visual impact of the display
41. The judges' decision in all matters will be final.
42. All participants will receive an individual certificate of participation.
43. Each participating group is required to complete a feedback survey following the Fair.
Lunch Arrangements for Exhibiting Groups:
44. Please note that a picnic area will be available for students with packed lunches.
Use of Photographs:
45. The RDS will commission a photographer to take photographs of the RDS Primary Science Fair. The RDS retains the right to use any photograph taken of participants at the RDS Primary Science Fair. Such photographs may be used on the RDS website and in related marketing materials, without media, time, use or geographic limitation. It is understood that the RDS is not obligated to use the photograph in any way.
46. All exhibiting groups will be required to sign a photographic release form in advance of participating at the RDS Primary Science Fair. One form per group is sufficient for RDS purposes. However, teachers accompanying the groups must ensure that the approval of parents/guardians has been obtained before submitting the signed photographic release form.
All queries regarding the RDS Primary Science Fair should be directed to the organisers for clarification.
For further information, please contact:
RDS Primary Science Fair
Science & Technology
RDS Foundation Department
Tel: +353 (0) 1 240 7990
Fax: +353 (0) 1 660 4014