Library & Archives
RDS Library & Archives Research Bursary
In 2018 the RDS Library & Archives will develop a research project focusing on the RDS Craft Archive to examine the work of the RDS in the development and promotion of Irish crafts throughout its history.
The RDS Library & Archives sought expressions of interest from postgraduate researchers to complete a research study on a topic of interest within the RDS Craft Archive. The successful candidate will be awarded a research bursary of €10,000. As part of the bursary the recipient must complete a research paper for presentation at a relevant conference as well as a talk during the RDS Library Speaker Series 2018. The research paper must also be submitted for publication in an appropriate academic journal.
Dr Claudia Kinmonth is the recipient of the RDS Library & Archives Research Bursary for 2018.
RDS Craft Archive
The RDS has had a long and fruitful relationship with the development and promotion of Irish crafts throughout its history. The RDS Craft Archive contains material dating back to the 1740s that includes:
• Catalogues and correspondence of the RDS Arts Industries exhibition (1890-1920)
• Catalogues and correspondence relating to the National Art Awards (1920-1960s)
• Catalogues, photographs, entry forms, news-clippings and correspondence related to the National Craft Awards (1968-)
• The minutes and correspondence of the RDS Craft Committee and working groups (1900-)
• The manuscript minutes of the Dublin Society (1731-1762)
• The RDS proceedings (1764-)
• Material relating to prominent figures and groups associated with the Irish craft movement including Lillias Mitchell, Muriel Gahan and the Irish Society for Design and Craftwork
For further details please see the RDS Library & Archives Catalogue.
In 2017 the RDS Library & Archives engaged in a research project focusing on the RDS Science Archive. Following receipt of expressions of interest in January 2017 the RDS Library & Archives Bursary judging panel awarded the reserach bursary of €10,000 to Dr Adrian Kirwan, NUI Maynooth. Dr Adrian Kirwan presented his research paper at the Annual Conference of the History of Science, Technology and Medicine Network Ireland, held in association with the RDS Library and Archives. The conference was held in the RDS Library on 13 & 14 October 2017.
In 2016 the Research Bursary was awarded to Dr Míchéal Ó Fáthartaigh to carry out research on the RDS Agriculture Archive. His research was presented at Remarkable Transformations: Reassessing the history of agriculture in Ireland, a one day conference organized by the RDS Library & Archives. The conference programme and video recordings of the presentations are available online.