Mr William George Digges Latouche
Major General Eustace
William George Digges Latouche (1746-1803) was the son of James Digges Latouche and Margaret Thwaites. He was educated in St Paul’s school, London. He served as British resident in Basra 1764-84, where he made a substantial personal fortune. In 1775 he ransomed the inhabitants of Zobeir from enslavement by the Persians. He married Grace Puget, London, and returned to Dublin in 1784. In 1786 he was admitted as a partner in La Touche Bank, and was also a director of Bank of Ireland 1786-96. He became a director of the Grand Canal Company of Ireland in 1791 and was elected its chairman in 1794, and 1799. Latouche bridge, Rathmines, was named for him. William Digges Latouche was elected a member of the Dublin Society on 30 June 1796. His proposers were Speaker Foster, Major General Eustace, and Abraham Wilkinson. On 21 May 1801 he donated a gold inlaid Persian mace to the Society’s museum. He died of apoplexy while visiting the stock exchange, 1803.