Library & Archives Bursary 2018
In 2018 the Library & Archives engaged in a research project focusing on its craft archive to examine the work of the RDS on the application of craft over the last three centuries.
In 2018 the RDS Library & Archives engaged in a research project focusing on the RDS Craft Archive to examine the work of the RDS in the application of craft discoveries and techniques in Ireland. Following receipt of expressions of interest in January 2018 the RDS Library & Archives Bursary judging panel awarded the reserach bursary of €10,000 to Dr Claudia Kinmonth, MRIA.
Dr Kinmonth presented her research paper at the Annual Conference of the Eighteenth-Century Ireland Society. She also presented her research as part of the RDS Library Speaker Series. Her paper entitled Rags, Riches & Recycling; the Dublin Society's encouragement of art & artefacts, 1731-1781’ has been accepted for publication in Irish Architectural and Decorative Studies in 2019.
The RDS has had a long and fruitful relationship with the development and promotion of Irish crafts throughout its history. The RDS Craft Archive contains material dating back to the 1740s that includes:
• Catalogues and correspondence of the RDS Arts Industries exhibition (1890-1920)
• Catalogues and correspondence relating to the National Art Awards (1920-1960s)
• Catalogues, photographs, entry forms, news-clippings and correspondence related to the National Craft Awards (1968-)
• The minutes and correspondence of the RDS Craft Committee and working groups (1900-)
• The manuscript minutes of the Dublin Society (1731-1762)
• The RDS proceedings (1764-)
• Material relating to prominent figures and groups associated with the Irish craft movement including Lillias Mitchell, Muriel Gahan and the Irish Society for Design and Craftwork
For further details please see the RDS Library & Archives Catalogue.